First and foremost a warm thank you to the support/cheering crew last weekend; Mom, Aunt Julie, Whitney, Ben, and Zach. Last weekend I raced in the Collegiate Nationals Championships in Fort Collins. On Saturday, to my dismay, the race organizers shorted and altered the road race—taking out the ultra-selective finish (last 10 miles). I raced conservatively but stayed near the front. Poor decision making in the final kilometer caused me finish 18th. A day later I raced in the criterium. After a mistake filled start I ended towards the pack of the back. Two laps in I saw an opportunity to move up and gave it a little gas. The next thing I knew, I was a break away with A Dartmouth and Furman rider—the winner of the road race. Two more riders quickly bridged up. We managed to keep a sizeable but excessive gap over the field. After two more groups of 4 riders bridged up our group start to put a second or two into the main pack every lap. The breakaway began trading blows in the final 10 laps and two riders getting away with 5 to go. After finding myself on the front with one to go, I finished 11th. For the second day in a row I could have finished 3 to 4 places higher had I raced smarter and more tactical in the final kilometer of a race, what a shame. I finished 11th in the omnium (overall combination of points from both races) . My goal was to finish in the top 10 in either race; I was close but ultimately unsuccessful.
Western Kansas—home to more radio stations that play the best music "this side of heaven" than towns.
I have been taking this week off from riding and consequently dieting. Some of my new favorites include cookie dough—following breakfast, eating at McDonalds—twice in one day, three servings of ice cream—in one sitting.


No comments:
Post a Comment