15 September 2007

Black Bella 9.3

Today was first day of classes. There are nine kids in my class; the program directors divided us into two smaller groups. The other being slightly faster pace, I was considering the possibility of being in the class but now after the first day of class I should have my hands full with the one I’m in now. After class the group stumbled upon a bike shop, after a little English, a little Italian and reading from the phrase book. We found out they had two used bikes for sale one men’s and one women’s. Allen turned down the men’s bike and I jumped at the opportunity to finally score a bike. Sami took the white women’s one it looks like a little kids bike, very fitting. Once I laid eyes on the men’s bike, I knew it was going to be mine. It’s a decent sized black bike with matching front and rear fenders, a generator mounted on the front to power the headlight and taillights, swept back handlebars giving it a perfect Italian feel and look. Immediately after I bought the bike, for 65 Euro, and took the first turn on the pedals, I felt sooooo Italian. My messenger bag draped over my left shoulder, oversized Ray Ban classes to shield my eyes from the warm air, and my hair aimlessly blowing into the now oncoming wind, it was an amazing feeling. From now we will call her Black Bella, bella being the Italian word for beauty. When I arrived back at the apartment I happily found a new fresh smelling refrigerator and microwave. Allen and I were ecstatic. Although my mood was slightly dimmed when I realized my relatively new Ben Sherman messenger bag was coming unstitched, leaving it useless. Now I’m in the market for a new messenger bag, preferable one that comes with a matching smaller version. . . . I would say the second bag be about the size of a man purse . . . . . you know, kind of like a two-for-one deal.
This isn't a great picture, better ones to come soon. Goodness she's sooo beautiful.




Following lunch Sami and I pedaled our bikes back into town in search of cell phones. We both bought relatively cheap, 49 Euro, used cell phones and joined the Vodafone network, similar to the majority of kids in the program. I did second guess my decision to get a cell phones, as it’s easy to contact anyone leaving in the apartment but it will come in handy when traveling and contacting students in the home stays. After a stop at internet cafĂ© it was time for Allen and I to do some grocery shopping. We shopped away both picking up quite a few things. Then I made our first dinner in the apartment, cordon bleu with salad, nothing special. After dishes, Italian homework, and a weak attempt to understand my phone, which was unsuccessful, it was time for bed.


In other news, I don’t know the news, not having daily access to internet is straying to become a nuisance for myself and the other kids staying in the apartment. I feel extremely disconnected from U.S. and other world happenings, since I haven’t see any news for well over a week. The dated RSS feed on my computer that are of dates titles ranging from Hurricane Dean to Michael Vick to floods in Ohio. It’s a daily remained that I’m discounted from the family, friends, the US, the cycling world and world happenings. Tomorrow I’m going to search for an American newspaper or at least a newspaper in English. Ok, enough rambling for now. But don't fret, I'll have some sort of decent internet when this finally get's published.

No comments: