02 June 2008

Shopping in the “Men’s Section”

On Saturday Whitney and I shopped the boutiques and thrift shops that line Westheimer, appropriately located in Montrose—Houston's most colorful neighborhood. I came up with the brilliant idea that we should both pick out bizarre shirts and wear them to the play we were attending with my parents later that evening. In the fittingly named Fashion Recycler I immediately laid eyes on a fancy, flowery, fashionable country western dress shirt. It was made by Wrangler, smells like it has not been worn and is 100% polyester, too legit to quit. I gave it a trial run in the dressing room and found it flattering; my adolescent in buying western shirts is to blame for me ignoring the single button cuffs. $15.50 later I was out the door, a satisfied shopper. Whitney bought a more modest shirt but a western one, thus forming a theme. Upon returning home I rushed to get ready, sliding into my pointed wantabe Euro trash boots, an unnecessary tight pair of dark jeans from Italy, and then the shirt, oh yeah. I dashed downstairs to flaunt my newly purchased shirt for my awaiting parents, my mom was giggly and interested however my dad nearly put me up for adoption on the spot. He began a detailed inspection of the shirt, pointing on the darts down the chest, the curvy shape and right side buttoning on top. His conclusion (paraphrased): "Damit son, why on God's green earth are you wearing a blouse?" "But dad, it was in the Men's section. . . . " Even then I wore my blouse that night, standing tall with my chest out both with pride and as ineffective attempt to fill it in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, Alex.

So Philip notices it's a blouse, but not Audrey. How very interesting.

Auntie Doris
PS Whitney looks very nice and I'm talking about her, and not her recently purchased Western wear. Not that I'm commenting on her attire, but mean she looks kind etc.

Sami said...

i'm glad being in america hasn't taken the euro-gay out of you yet.

Anonymous said...

It was a nice idea.... well, looking cute in this shirt. I too have a small floral shirt from Perry Ellis, it's also cool.