22 June 2008

Two Races, Two Crashes.

Chalk up another two accidents to the Alex-2008-Crash-Tally. 3 wrecks in 21 days, awesome. Although more [sic] survivorable than the 3 wrecks in 10 days record I set two springs ago. BTW, none of which were my fault. On Saturday I was flying through a left hand corner third wheel at a NRC Crit in Austin when all the sudden I find myself sliding across the bumpy dirty pavement. Lucky I was just a handful of seconds off the front of the field so after tumbling, I saw the pack coming and stumbled out of the way. With the course being a short and only four corners the officials stopped giving out free laps with 8 to go, I crashed with 7 to go, damn. (If you look closely you can see the impression from my six-pack.)

Following a quick shower in which I discolored my washrag to a light black from the asphalt dust, I headed back to watch the big boy's race. Rock Racing and Toyota-United had full squads with a mixture of other pros and elite riders from around the country. It was enjoyable to watch the race play out and see the whole 8 block course lined with spectators. I was a sell out and supported Michael Ball's larger than life team, Rock Racing.

.
Who happened to park one of their three Escalades at our hotel on Saturday night. Their three Escalades complemented their custom made jerseys and shoes covers for this weekend, extravagant 40+ feet motor home, and elaborate tracker trailer cab with a small trailer in toe.

Sunday was another crit, and another crash. I was just behind a rider who decided to pull a "Saturday Alex" and washed out right in front of me, after laying on the breaks I slowed down a little before running over his bike. Thankfully I landed on the right side. I finished the frustrating race. My hips resemble a strawberry patch and I have no results to show for the work. Tonight I'll be trying out new sleeping positions, because the whole sleeping on my side thing won't cut it for the next week or so. Hopefully my new ride arrives soon since; I cannot keep this bike upright, anymore. Peace Out.

4 comments:

aka Kathy said...

Bummer about the crashes. I guess sleeping on our floor brings you better luck than a hotel room, huh?

aka Kathy said...

Just think of what could happen if you sleep in the bed!!!
You know you're always welcome to stay here when in town. Especially if you continue to support my Starbux habit.

Koch said...

If you stay on two wheels it is a lot easier - just a note for the future. If it makes you feel any better I crashed my bike and I wasn't even on it. Cars on the roofs of cars is just silly as far as i'm concerned. What are you getting to replace the trek?

B.Norris said...

Alex! Team R&R!?!?! For Shame!